Thursday, December 31, 2009

Week 35, Day 252, December 31, 2009, Cardinal


Happy New Year Everybody!!

I've heard so many horror stories about taking cameras out in the cold, it makes me nervous about taking my equipment outside.

So, today I cheated a little.  I took the screen off of our laundry room window, set up my tripod, opened the window, and took photos out my back window.

Lessons Learned:
  • This method, I stayed much warmer. (Although I wasn't heating the room at the time.)
  • I think it acted as a blind, and the birds didn't pay much attention to me. So, I was able to take several photos of birds.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/320 sec, Aperture f/5.6, ISO 1600, Focal Length 400 mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM with a Canon EF 2X II Extender (Christmas Gift from my wife.), tripod

9 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

the cardinals make me so happy, bright and cheerful all gloomy winter!

Anonymous said...

Great picture. Uncanny, I just took down screens a week ago..

Andrew said...

Awesome photo! I tried taking bird pictures today, but the birds were not being cooperative. They did not turn out.

Question though, why the high ISO and the narrower-than-2.8 aperture?

Gallow said...

The birds are very quick, twitching, and it was very dark from the clouds today, so I used a high ISO. The 2x extender limits the lens to an f stop of 5.6.

James said...

I always take my camera out in the cold. I probably have a different definition of cold than you though. :)

That is a very nice shot!

BSOB said...

Hey SG, sounds like you're one step closer to those nat geographic photographers who set up fake rocks or bushes out in the wilderness to blend in and take great pictures. im available if you need a tech assistant to travel to far off lands and hold the flash or lense cap. i say we hit fiji first, then maybe africa, but i dont like insects so maybe not. what about scottland? do they have birds there?

Nicki said...

Great picture. Saw the others on FB and loved them!

nasyarobby said...

I really envied with your lens sir... I wish I can afford a Canon 70-200mm f/4 L... :(
You have facebook account sir? Lets connect... :)

AB said...

A handsome little fellow, well captured.