Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 17, 2010, Experimenting with Depth of Field


This is a work in progress. I had lunch today at "The Plum Tree",a local Japanese Restaurant.  I noticed the reflection of the building in one of the
bowls.

I liked the clarity of the building, and the blurred image of the bowls.  I tried a varity of f-stops for different amounts of blurr on the bowl.  I haven't quite balanced it yet, but I think this technique has potential for interesting photos.

Which image do you like the best of the three?

These images where submitted to James' Weekend Reflections.  Check out the great work of James and others.


11 comments:

toledonative said...

I like the second one best! Until I read your post, I had no idea it was a reflection in a bowl! Very interesting effect!

Reverend Awesome said...

I like the middle one best too. That is freaking rad as hell!

Andrew said...

Yeah I like the middle one. The first is too much, but the third is too little. Goldilocks would approve.

Sandra said...

Definately #2! Great shots.

Mike Simmons said...

My vote is #2 also, Steve. Nice subject for the experiment. I'll bet lunch was good!

Unknown said...

Yeah, #2. You can see the building clear as a bell, but also still recognize the bowl as a bowl. :)

Jill Brown said...

I vote for #2!! Great idea for a series! Can't wait to see where you take it! :)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

STEVO! Bold and most freaky images!!!! I was just telling M: I love Stevo :)

Yolanda said...

A bowl of building - I can see the concept the most represented in the second one. Very cool!

BSOB said...

Steve! These are incredible! You should have a show in town. I can find you a place to show if you want in the future. maybe see you guys at chappy later

Andrey Dorokhov said...

very interesting idea!