Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Trip to NY City

Gary and Maude Rith invited us along for a day in NY City.  Since it's been 30 years since I've been there, I said let's go.  And go we did.

 Being a  a "Go with the Flow" type of guy, I really appreciate Gary planning the event, and his knowledge of the city.  Judy and I held on for the ride.

Our first race was to Grand Central Station to catch a subway south.  (Sorry about the blurry photo, I was crossing the street while taking the shot.)


I think I could spend several days just in Grand Central station taking photos.

After taking the 6 train we met one of Gary's customers, Julie, at the vegan restaurant Wild Ginger on Broom Street.  This was some of best vegan food I have ever eaten.

It was a good thing we stopped because we were just beginning, and needed the substance for the rest of the day.

Julie spent most of the day with us, and was a lot of fun to be around. 

Maude's sisters also live in NY, and joined us.  Wow, we had 4 tour guides for the two of us!

I could easily spend a life time in NY photographing buildings.  While people were finishing their deserts at a vegan bakery, I wondered the streets taking photographs of the interesting buildings.
I live in a very rural area.  Birds are very wary of people in this area, and it's difficult to take photos of them.  I'm always intrigued when we are in areas that have a lot of people, and birds respond in a much different way.  I spent some time photographing pigeons, and photographing people taking photographs of pigeons.  (I think that Gary also took photographs of me taking photographs of pigeons.)
These photos were from Sutton Park.  I think that is the Queensboro Bridge in the background. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)


Or course, I have to have at least one type of tourist photo.  Here's Radio City Music Hall.

I think one of the really neat things about traveling with Gary and Maude is that we were able to see a different part of the city that is not the typical tourist things to see.  Here we are outside a small shop that sells tens of thousands of all types of buttons. 

After a fun day of travel we stopped for dinner at Heartland Brewery on 6th ave.  We thought it best to sample the various hardy beverages, and we were not disappointed.  (The food was also great.)


So there you have my travel log of the trip.  I must return sooner than 30 years from now.  I may not be quite as quick at 80 as I am at 50.

8 comments:

Andrew said...

Man I love NYC. Not enough to live there, but enough to visit more often than I do...

Great shots, I especially like the one with the bridge!

Kari said...

That is Sutton Park/Queensboro Bridge. If you had traveled just north of the bridge you would have seen a site of a project I worked on a few years ago!

Also, Derek keeps poking around the Colombia University website, so you might get down there sooner than you think!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Golly, it was the absolute BEST time thanks to you guys! Fine weather, good plans, action packed but just right :)

Reverend Awesome said...

That looked like such a fun trip! My gosh. ACTION PACKED.

I love touristy things. I always feel so silly doing them but they are just so much fun. When I lived in New Orleans my Mom visiting was my chance to play tourist. I couldn't get anyone that lived there to take me.

A button store?! That's pretty great!

Yolanda said...

Love your shots! Lots of nice architectural elements, arches, bridges, geometric angles... NY has so much to feed our lenses! Glad you had a nice time!

Sandra said...

What a great set of images from your trip.
Makes me want to make that trip too.

Bella said...

Excellent photos!I am greatly enjoying of it myself.Thanks for the update.Keep posting attractive post here.



get out

Jill Brown said...

Fun!