Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Week 20, Day 145, September 15, 2009, "Evidence of Wind"


Earlier this summer I was thinking about how to represent various aspects of weather through photography.  Rain has been one that I played with, and was able to capture drops of rain,  I've tried a few times to capture wind.  I think wind is a little more tricky.  Many times we see it as movement. To capture it as a moment in time in a photograph is a little more difficult.  Tonight I experimented  to do so with a slower shutter speed on those tall flowers that I had in the blog about a week ago.

Although this photo is abstract, I do like some of the patterns that were captured as the wind moved the flowers back and forth.  I think this still has a way to go, but might yield some interesting results in the future.

Are there ways in which you experiment with creativity?  What are they?

Lessons Learned:
  • Experiments do not always turn out as you hoped, but with most I learn something.
  • Some days I have to look a long time before I find anything to photograph.  Today was one of those days.
Photo details: Exposure time 1.6 sec, Aperture f/22.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 26 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 42mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod.

3 comments:

carmilevy said...

I always thought photography was about capturing absolutely still images that reflected what the eye saw at any given moment. As I became more comfortable playing with the settings on my camera, I realized I was deliberately narrowing my world view. Blur is as critical a technique as any other, and you illustrate that beautifully here.

There's such a soft texture that I feel like reaching out and touching it. Like you, I look forward to seeing where you'll take it. I promise I'll be doing similar experiments on my end!

Rune Eide said...

I think you had a nice try. If I should try to capture the wind, I would probably try something with waves, but then I live by the sea.

PS I respect you for always using a tripod - I'm all to lazy... - and thank you for the Inspiring comment :-) !

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Oh! Winner of the week Steve!