Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Week 20, Day 146, September 16, 2009, Logistics


As I mentioned the other day the Iroquois Trial Ultras is this Saturday.  A lot of people don't realize how much work is involved in planning a race.  I can only imagine the process.  Tonight Ian had 6 people just for marking the trail.  This is just one small part of the whole process, and each of these guys will put in at least two hours of work this evening.

Ian allowed me to tag along to see parts of the route, and possible places to take photographs.  I will be on the mountain at about 5:15 AM to be ready for the runners as they ascend the first ski slope at Greek Peak.  Then I will be running around for several hours trying to get great shots as they run through various parts of the trail.  I hope I don't get lost in the process.

The runners as they ascend the first ski slope will be running in the dark.  They will be wearing head lamps to light their way.  It's a very difficult race with lots of elevation changes.  The top runners take just a little under 24 hours to complete the 100 mile course.  I admire all of them for their training, and running abilities.  The race also includes a 50 mile course, and relay teams.  All of the participants are incredible athletes, and I look forward to seeing them on Saturday.

Lessons Learned:
  • I chased a beautiful sunset looking for the perfect foreground this evening.  I never found the perfect foreground.  Some days the scene isn't in the cards.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/640 sec, Aperture f/4.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 19 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 31mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, handheld. The runners will be wearing head lamps as they run through the dark.

No comments: