Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 20, 2010, Bird

This is one of those photos where I'm amazed at the camera equipment.  I was using the telephoto lens from a long way away.  I had to crop the photo substantially so that the bird wouldn't look like a dot on the screen.  I'm amazed that the photo came out this clear without using a tripod.

Do any of you bird watchers know what type of bird this is?

Lessons Learned:
  • Take photos even if you think they will be failures.  You never know when they might work. This is especially true with digital cameras, because there is very little cost.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/1000 sec, Aperture f/2.8, ISO 100, Focal Length 200 mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, hand held.

4 comments:

toledonative said...

Cool angle - I like how the bird is totally staring you down! Isn't it awesome when you get a shot home and are pleasantly surprised?

As for the bird, I am not sure - it looks yellowish so it could be a gold finch but the yellow looks too dark for that. But then I am terrible and recognizing more than a handful of birds.

Reverend Awesome said...

It looks like a female goldfinch. They aren't as bright as the boys.
That is really really cool. You can even see the details on the wire!

Mike Simmons said...

Really nice perspective, Steve!

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

nice shot, your bird in question is a male greenfinch.