Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 21, 2010, First Cut

The farmer up the road began Organic Farming several years ago.  The large round bails of hay are much different than the smaller square bails of my childhood.  These large bails are very quickly wrapped in plastic, and resemble large marshmallows.  Because they are so quickly wrapped, my time window for photographing the unwrapped bails is very limited.  I stopped on my way to work to take this photo.

Lesson Learned:
  • Try not to miss photo opportunities.  Circumstances can change rapidly.
  • I tried side lighting on this photo.  This tip was from Scott Bourne .
  • I should have used a narrower aperture in this photo.  I did take some with a narrow aperture, but I framed the photo differently.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/800 sec, Aperture f/4.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 17 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, handheld, circular polarizer filter.

7 comments:

Rune Eide said...

You got a fine one here. Such balls are seldom seen nowadays - over here we call them tractor-eggs...

James said...

It's a beautiful shot! I would love to take pictures there.

Reverend Awesome said...

Hey! That looks like Iowa!

toledonative said...

Nah, it looks like Ohio! I love seeing the round bales of hay while driving in the country - sometimes they are fashioned into hay-men (like snow men) to advertise a farm or corn maze.

I like this shot - almost abstract. The lighting really makes it pop.

(And I know what you meant about the lizard and your sister!)

Mike Simmons said...

Nice "Americana" shot, Steve. It looks like it could be the Midwest. I like the balls trailing off in the horizon. It really gives depth. And I like that shadow. Well done!

Sandra said...

Nice image. Great looking sky.
Congratulations on being featured on Tasra Mar's blog. Nice article.

Andrey Dorokhov said...

Always love these round bails, but never managed to do a good shot of it yet.
Yours are great!