Sunday, August 16, 2009

Week 16, Day 105, August 14, 2009 "Big Dipper"


Bear with me on this one. We were camping in the woods, and the stars were incredible. I grabbed my camera, and did my first attempt at photographing the stars. I can tell it's going to take some playing with the camera setting to improve my photos, but I was having a lot of fun.

Pictured here is the big dipper. I didn't realize there were so many other stars that you cannot see with your eye The camera picked up several others that are beyond the dipper that I couldn't see. This exposure is for 5 minutes, so there is a shift as the earth rotates. Also not the air plane that went by on the upper left corner.

Lesson Learned:
  • I don't know anything about shooting stars yet, but found if very interesting. It took me a while to even get one star to appear.
  • The sky is much bigger than I thought. It really requires a wide angle lens.
Photo details: Exposure time 301 sec, Aperture f/4.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 40 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 65mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve - I have a huge sheet of settings and tips on photoing stars from an Earth Science assignment my kids have been given in the past. I will have to find it.

Gallow said...

That would be great. I'd really like to see the recommended settings.