Sunday, August 30, 2009

Week 18, Day 130, August 30, 2009, Empty Nest

Our second oldest child moved on Friday, and our oldest moved a couple of weeks ago. These were not the "I'm going to College, and I'll be back for the summers, holiday, and between semester breaks.", but probably something more significant. They have both already graduated from college. We're very proud of them, but we are beginning to get that feeling of the empty nest.

To celebrate our empty nest, my wife and I went to the Ithaca's farmers market for an excellent lunch, and to purchase some produce. We talked to Nancy about photography, and some projects that she is helping me. After our lunch we went to the Lab of Ornithology at Cornell University to walk some trails and look for birds. As with us the Heron Nest was empty, but presented itself for some photo opportunities.

Lessons Learned:

  • Expect to be surprised by changes in your life, and opportunities. I assumed that my photo would be of birds. I assume that the empty nest will be difficult. Others have told me different. I hope they are right.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/2500, Aperture f/2.8, ISO 100, Focal Length 135 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 218mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, hand held.

3 comments:

The Gilje Crew said...

My parents definitely had mixed feelings when my brother and I were both gone. They do seem to get out and have fun more... hmmm!

This picture suits your comments so well. This fits the old adage "a picture is worth a thousand words" so well. It's a neat picture and the bare branches and b/w tone are a perfect compliment to your feelings.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

super pic here Steve :) You and Judy are so young, WOW, all the stuff you can do now that the house is (almost) empty...

Kari said...

you know I hear that some very special species of bird return to the same familiar nest every year. By instinct, tradition, or longing, I'm not sure, but I'm sure that once they arrive, the familiar warmth and comfort of home is a welcome embrace.