Thursday, August 20, 2009

Week 16, Day 111, August 20, 2009, Feathered Visitor


While I was at work this morning I received a phone call from a colleague, Hal Coghill. Hal asked me if I had my camera, and I said, "Of course". He told me that there was a Red Tailed Hawk in the Engineering Quad at Cornell University. I was waiting for matlab to download, so I grabbed by camera and my telephoto lens as was out the door.

Hal and I followed the hawk through 3 trees, and took several photos. The hawk was beautiful, and we posted a link of the photos on face book. Soon stories from people all around campus began to collect. It seems as if there are some hawks living on campus. What a pleasant surprise. I hope to see them often.

Lessons Learned:
  • I'm glad that more people are knowing that I like to take photographs. Hal gave me a great opportunity to take some photos. Thank you Hal.
  • Always have the camera ready. It seems like opportunities present themselves when you least expect it.
  • Once change in shutter speed has a great effect. I had a few photos from this angle. The shutter speed of 1/1000 gave me a blue sky. A shutter speed of 1/800 gave me a white sky. I need to pay more attention to this.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/1000, Aperture f/3.5, ISO 100, Focal Length 200 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 323mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, hand held.

No comments: