Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Week 5 - Day 33 - June 2, 2009, "North Carolina Clouds"


Today was a day of travel. I'm currently in North Carolina, on my way to my niece's graduation in South Carolina. (We'll arrive tomorrow)

Photography wise I spent the day shooting through the windshield. (When I wasn't driving.) This was the best shot I had for the day.

I played with setting the white balance to bring out the blues. A setting of a fluorescent seemed to work well for distant mountains and sky. For the photos of the clouds I also didn't use the recommendation of the cameras light meter, and used a slower shutter speed. This seems to make the whites whiter. Bruce Monger had told me that he had read that this was also a requirement for photographing snow, so I tried it with the clouds. It seemed to work well.

Lessons Learned:

  • Cool effects with white balance. (as mentioned above)
  • While taking photos in a moving vehicle, 1) don't drive, 2) don't bother with objects nearby when traveling 70 mph.
  • Snow settings for shutter speed seem to work well for clouds.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/125, Aperture f/14.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 70 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 113mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, hand held, in a car, through a windshield, with one hand tied behind my back.

No comments: