Thursday, June 25, 2009

Week 8 - Day 56, June 25, 2009, "Flower in Rain" Winner of Week 8 in Viewer Poll


I need help on this one. Do any of you know the name of this flower?
Today is our 26th anniversary, and I went to a funeral, and it rained, and we're going out to dinner. I had very little time to take photos.
The biggest difficulty I had was trying to hold the umbrella to set up the camera to take the photo. (I destroyed one camera in a rain storm at a cross country meet, and don't want to repeat that mistake.)
I like this photo because of the water on the leaves. I also used a wide aperture for a narrow field of focus. I think that worked well. I also like the reddish orange (artist help me on this color) of the buds. The blossom looks a little blurry. I think it is probably from the wind, or the rain.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/100 sec, Aperture f/4.0, ISO 200, Focal Length 32 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 52mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod.

This photo was the top pick for week 8 in the viewer poll.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How about evening primrose?
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/Evening_Primrose.htm

Sorry to hear about the funeral ...

Gallow said...

The flower looks very similar, but the leaves seem different. So, I'm not sure if that is what it is.

Gallow said...

Don, Thank you for pointing me to the Wikipedia Page. The leaves do look similar on that page. I think you are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oenothera