Sunday, June 28, 2009

Week 9 - Day 59, June 28, 2009 "Clover and Barn"


This photo is in many ways an illusion. The purple clover in the foreground is actually a lot further from the barn than it appears in this photo. There is also a road inbetween the clover blossoms and the barn. The road sits fairly high in this area. I took the photo while standing in a corn field about 4 feet lower than the road. There are enough plants to obscure the road.

I was also able to use a trick of using a telephoto lens. The telephoto lens tends to bring things in the distance a lot closer than the subject around you. In this case the barn is about 250 yards away from the clover.

I've wanted to photograph this barn for a while, but it is huge. I haven't been able to figure out the angle to capture the largeness of it, while still being still being a pleasing photograph. In this photo I still haven't accomplished that, but it was nice to be able to include a small piece of it.

Lessons Learned:
  • I had to think about where the sun is located. I tried to take this a few times in the evening, but the sun was in the sky beyond the barn. I had to come back for a morning shot so the sun would be at my back, and still shed enough light on the barn to have it become part of the photo.
  • When I originally saw the clover, there was also a rock pile under it. I thought that I would take a photo of the rocks with the clover above it. When I began to look around at the background, I saw the barn in the distance. I knew I also wanted to include that. A photo that included the rocks, the clover, and the barn became to busy. This arrangement seemed to work better for my taste.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/60s, Aperture f/22.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 73 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 119mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, tripod.

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

nice golden sunshine, isn't it?
YES, tis Fall Creek out back of our place, although the leaves are too full this time of year to see much!