Saturday, January 2, 2010

Week 36, Day 254, January 2, 2010, Doggie in the Window


Everybody in town is familiar with this Boxer that spends a lot of his/her time looking over the town from this window.  I've wanted to take a photo of it for some time, but never had my camera with me.

It was about 10 degrees F outside, so I didn't spend a lot of time.  I'd like to get a better photograph some day.  Many times he is standing in the window, which I think would make for a better photo.

Lessons Learned:
  • A Circular Polarizer Filter will not always remove the reflection of the light in the glass.
  • Because of the previous problem, I learned how to use Photoshop to crop the window, create a new layer, and adjust the image levels of that layer to help reduce some of the glare.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/50 sec, Aperture f/7.1, ISO 100, Focal Length 35 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, handheld, circular polarizer filter, reduced the glare on the window with Photoshop.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

nasyarobby said...

In my opinion, maybe you need to recompose this shot. At the first time I saw this photo, I didnt notice that there's a dog. The point of interest (the dog) wasnt catched by my eyes. I thought this photo was about barber shop. I suddenly noticed that there's a dog after I read the title, and your text-post. :)

Gallow said...

Thank you Anonymous. I do feel that I've come a long way, and have a long way to go. It's been very exciting for me.

Nasyarobby,
I agree with what you are saying. I'm torn, because I think a lot of the charm in the photo is the whole building and the dog together, but when I include the whole building the dog becomes lost. I think if the dog was standing, he/she would stand out. I also like the concept of looking at the building, and noticing the dog later.
I think this has potential, but it isn't quite right yet. If you (or anybody0 has some sugguestions, I'd love to hear them.

RRosen said...

Never leave home without it. I had left my camera home when I saw the post I made today. It was 30 minutes round trip to get back and found him still watching.

Yolanda said...

How adorable is that!? Usually you see cats in windows. Funny that a big dog perches here. This building is visually interesting as well, and the dog adds his whimsical charm! :)

Toledonative said...

One way to make the existing photo more about the dog is to desaturate the rest of the photo - maybe leave the window and the barbershop sign in color or something. That way the eye is drawn to what you want to be the focal point (the dog) yet the entire shot is still there.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Groton = Mayberry :)

Stephen Chapman said...

I have done the year in pictures too - keep up the good work!

As that you are into photography, I thought that you may be interested in a monthly blog posting called “5 on the fifth” where you can either take 5 random pictures of anything that happens to you on the 5th of January (or the days leading up to it) or perhaps go for my suggested theme.

Just post your pictures on your own blog and then post a comment on MY blog with your name, location and link to your site – I then update the entry so the world has your link. Remember to mention my blog on your own blog so that your visitors get to see the other contributions.

Interested?

Here’s a link to my blog:

http://thestateofthenationuk.blogspot.com/

and a link to the “5 on the fifth” entries:

http://thestateofthenationuk.blogspot.com/search/label/5%20on%20the%20fifth