Thursday, January 28, 2010

Week 39, Day 278, January 28, 2010, "Heat by the Fire on a Cold Winters Night"

It's 9 degrees, the wind is blowing, and I don't have to go outside tonight.  The fire feels great on a night like tonight.

I hope you are all warm and safe wherever you may be tonight. (Or if you're in the southern hemisphere, may comfortable breezes comfort your evening.)

Lessons Learned:
  • Taking photos of a white out with to fast of a shutter speed doesn't show the snow flakes very well.  (More of a Note to self for future reference)
Photo details: Exposure time 8 sec, Aperture f/5.6, ISO 400, Focal Length 17 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, dog crate for a tripod.

8 comments:

Yolanda said...

What is it with the snow? It seems like it will never end. A fire is good, and a self-portrait even more fun! My post tonight is ALSO a self portrait of sorts, AND a guitar theme. So I had a little fun, and referenced your page. This makes me want to build a fire...

toledonative said...

I can handle the snow -it's the never-ending bitter cold that gets to me.

I really like the lighting on your face and hands - very warm and peaceful shot.

And I'm having the same difficulty capturing the effects of heavy snow falling! Good thing there's always more on the way to practice with! ;)

James said...

I was about to say that it's much warmer here but the temp dropped about 20f in the past couple of hours. This is a very nice shot. The lighting looks great but hard to work with.

Andrew said...

Good shot, I like the lighting. And you're pretty good at holding still for 8 seconds :)

Nicki said...

I can almost guarantee you will have a future chance for those snow flakes this winter.

Love this picture, Steve.

Breanna said...

Great picture Steve!! Wonderful use of the light from the fire!

carmilevy said...

You are the master of long exposures: there is such a warmth to this scene. We've had cold weather alerts here all weekend, so this photo is the best possible antidote that I can imagine.

Thank you for ensuring your lessons become our lessons, too.

Werner Sun said...

I feel warmer just looking at this photo!