Saturday, January 30, 2010

Week 40, Day 279, January 29, 2010, "Behind the Back"

Normally when I put up sports photographs for the "Photo of the Day" I use photos where my son's team members are the center of attention.  For today's photo I'm using the opposing team.  This player for the Lansing team had an incredible behind the back pass to his team member as he was driving toward the basket.  I was lucky to capture it in a photograph from the other side of the gym.  I wasn't expecting it.

Lessons Learned:
  • Although it's noisier, I experimented with an ISO of 6400 on my basketball shots tonight.  I was very impressed at the quality of the shots for such a high ISO.  We were in the home gym which has bright lights for a gym.  Using an ISO this high I was able to use shutter speeds of 1/500 sec and 1/640 sec. This really helps in getting the stop action of the game. I also think it will help tremendously in the darker gyms. If you click on the image you'll see a larger version of the photo and will see what I mean by the noise level.  What do you think?
Photo details: Exposure time 1/500 sec, Aperture f/2.8, ISO 6400, Focal Length 125 mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, hand held.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Pretty noisy... did you run software on it to reduce?

That being said, however, 1/640 inside with no flash is astounding.

Unknown said...

I agree with Andrew. I know there is noise but when I look at the large picture I am only seeing the big picture not the noise. Great catch.