Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Week 39, Day 277, January 27, 2010, Law School Arches II


I returned to work today, and felt much better.  On my way home the sun was out, and there were blue skies.  This helped lift my spirits even higher.  As I walked to catch the bus, I walked through one of my favorite areas on campus, and snapped this photo.

Lessons Learned:
  • I need to be less of a wimp when I'm not feeling well.  There are people in much more difficult situations than I am, and they are still doing incredible work.  I need to find inspiration in their work, and push forward.  
  • I figured out how to set my camera to an ISO 6400 and 12800.  I'm surprised at how well those ISO's still look.  I feel some very dark photography coming.
 Photo details: Exposure time 1/100 sec, Aperture f/5.6, ISO 400, Focal Length 17 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, hand held.

13 comments:

James said...

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling good. This is nice shot. Arches seem like great subjects for photography.

Andrew said...

This is great, and looks good in black & white! Arches make great fodder for stereophotography too. You should try it sometime. It's pretty easy to do actually. I just haven't gotten it exactly right yet.

Sandra said...

Making this a black and white image was a great idea. Pefect for the subject. This image just draws me in and makes me wanna walk there. Great job and ISO 6400? Wow

Theresa Addington said...

I discovered that I really like darker photography right now... I'm excited to hear you will be doing more. Loved the arches~

Gary's third pottery blog said...

how ya feeling Stevo???? Horrible winds today....

Yolanda said...

I am very much drawn to arches. Much of my own photography includes arches, and even photography that I own from other artists have the arch theme. I don't know why - it's a feeling I guess. I love this shot for the arches, the wonderful textures, shadows and repetition. Works so very well in B/W.

and there is nothing wrong with being a wimp sometimes! God knows I am a wimp most of the time - and it IS very difficult to get motivated when you are just not feeling well. Well-being and attitude is reflected in a shot. If you're not all there and not feeling good, then it will reflect. But then, sometimes a negative feel is what you want to show. It's all good! We do only what we can. Glad you're doing better! Your arches are much uplifting and happy!

AB said...

Arches are always great to photograph. The strong form of these ones works well in black and white.

Fadzil Zainal said...

Love the way how your capture those highlight and shadow..

Regina said...

Nice arch and angle.
Great shot!

foto CHIP said...

This is a really good shot. Lucky you brought the camera :)

Marie said...

I really love the angle you took this in.

Anonymous said...

A good photo like this one puts a spring in your step. Love the composition. Available light (aka available dark) photography is one of my favorites. Flash? Bah!

Dragonstar said...

Those arches are great. I like the contrast, and the bare tree through the one arch.