Saturday, January 9, 2010

Week 37, Day 260, January 9, 2010, Snow, Icy Trees, and Fog

It was an incredible morning.  The trees near our house had ice on them from two days ago.  Yesterday snow accumulated on the ice.  This morning the sun was playing hide and seek behind the clouds.

In this image there was a haze over the trees in the distance with ice on the trees.  The trees closer to me had a little ice on top, but less ice below.

Lessons Learned:
  • Similar to light, elevation can have a big effect on photography.  Just a little ways down the hill from my house none of the tree had ice.  I guess the lesson is to be alert to all possibilities, and look for patterns.  Since I knew there was ice above a certain elevation, I could also take photographs on other hills in the area with similar elevations.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/800 sec, Aperture f/5.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 130 mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, hand held.

.

This Monochrome concept came from Aileni at The Monochrome Weekly

12 comments:

Andrew said...

Great shot, the monochrome turned out awesome! I've been keeping my eye open for just such an opportunity with lots of big snowy or icy trees, but I haven't gotten one yet.

Rune Eide said...

Very nicely done - lots of shades of grey, and the frost is VERY evident.

toledonative said...

Looks cold! Oddly, I did a monochrome shot today too out in the cold. Thanks for the link to Monochrome Weekend!

Anonymous said...

Interesting the way the lighter shades of the ice and snow in the background and the darker shades in the foreground enhance the depth of the image. This is indeed a fine photo.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

nice Steve! I am using, as you may have seen, some of your BW pics of me as headers, thank you :)

James said...

I like the different shades ranging from light to dark.
Like monochrome stripes.

Nicki said...

Wow! This is beautiful!

ruma said...

It is scenery such as the miniature.

I resemble the picture which Tohaku Hasegawa drew.

Thank you for showing a wonderful view.

Yolanda said...

Wonderful shot this is... I like the b/w and the cold, foggy feeling.

Jen Yu said...

Stunning capture - my favorite of all your photos! Curious why you chose f5? Would love to have threshed out more detail with f8 or higher :)

Gallow said...

Jen, I chose f5 because it was so cold, I didn't want to stand outside with the tripod, and I had the lens extended, and I was shivering. lol I figured I had a better chance at getting a clear shot with f5 than f8 because of the faster shutter speed.

Wenche R said...

It's almost funny to see how the snow gives you new ways of thinking about photos. It's really facinating this white fluff!
I'm sort of used to it...
Regards from a cold norwegian..:-))