Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week 37, Day 261, January 10, 2010, Old Orchard

I walked through the berry bushes into the old orchard through a couple of feet of snow.  The trees were beautiful.  On one of the old apple trees a single apple was stuck between a couple of branches.  It stood out because everything else was black and white.
Lessons Learned:
  • I didn't want to use a circular polarizer filter because it reduces the beauty of the snow.  At the same time the filter would have enhanced the color of the apple.  So, instead I manipulated the lighting levels on the apple with an image manipulation program.  
  • Following animal tracks are not always the easiest way to get out of the berry bushes.  Rabbits have the advantage of being able to run under the bushes.  I should have payed more attention to the Brer Rabbit stories.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/80 sec, Aperture f/8.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 33 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, handheld, light level manipulation with Photoshop.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Cool shot! I like the apple a lot, it looks really nice amid the chaos of the branches in the rest of the picture.

Also... note to self: no CPL for snow shots. Haha thanks for the tip.

Gallow said...

Andrew, you can thank RuneE for the tip. He told me, but I did experiment. I agree with him.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

new camera too?

Rune Eide said...

I think it came off well. Photoshop can do wonders with things like this.

PS Thank you for the plug :-)