Friday, January 8, 2010

Week 36, Day 258, January 7, 2009, Catching up on the News


Today was another very limited day for photograph.  I only had time to take some photos on the bus trip home.  Today was our third meeting of the Greater Groton Photography Club.

The Photography Club is going well.  There's a lot of people with interests in photography, and we have various skill levels. I enjoyed working with a lot of people last night to show them some programs that they might like to use.  We also looked at how they might improve their photographs.  We had some still shots that they could take photographs, and try some various camera settings to see what would happen.

The only downside was that I was so busy helping others, that I didn't take any photographs myself.  I think the sacrifice was worth it.

Lessons Learned:

  • I'm amazed at how well this photo came out for the conditions of low light.  I had the ISO at 1600 (the largest for the current camera.), the fstop at 4.0 (the widest for this lens), and a very slow shutter speed. I don't have the information in front of me, but I think it was a 1/13 sec.  I have to get back to my desktop computer at home to check that.

7 comments:

Yolanda said...

I do love this in black & white - great tones and contrast! It's fun to take pictures of people. Especially candid ones like such. Nice capture!

James said...

Very nice shot Steve. I would like to join a photography club someday, it sounds fun.

Andrew said...

That's impressive! I'm envious of your ISO power... I can see a difference in noise even at 100 ISO instead of 80. And I pretty much will not shoot above 400 if there's any chance of printing.

Rune Eide said...

Well done! No visible ISO-problem at this magnification - and 1/13 certainly is impressive.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I like your BW pics too, and am using one of yours on my blob today, and HEY DONALD!

Nicki said...

I was just going to ask if that was Donald. Great shot!

Werner Sun said...

I love the gritty urban feel here. And Donald looks like he could use a nice stiff after-work drink.