Friday, April 2, 2010

Week 48, Day 337, April 1, 2010, Rolling Hills

This is Summer Hill.  There are many stories on how Summer Hill was named.  Some people it's because Summer is the only time that you can get here.  Others say that it was an attempt to attract more people to live here. Some say that it is named after a town in Ireland.  I prefer the first story, because in the winter there is a lot of snow.

Summer Hill is also the birth place of Millard Fillmore the 13th President of the United States.

It's also home of the "Empire Haven Nudist Colony".  There will be no photos from the Colony on this blog.

More recently there have been several farms that have been purchased by Amish families.  It's very common to see a horse and buggy along the road.

Lessons Learned:
  • I used a fill flash on this photo.  The first couple of photos the sign was to dark.  The fill flash did a good job to highlight it.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/100 sec, Aperture f/8.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 17 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, hand held. 

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I've learned that with my dad's 50mm lens on, even my pop-up flash does a pretty decent job as a fill flash because of the distance from my subjects in portraiture. Good shot! And I'm glad we aren't going to see any "artful nudes" here ;)

toledonative said...

My mind is reeling from the imagined juxtaposition of an Amish settlement and a nudist colony.

Great shot though!