Friday, April 23, 2010

Week 52, Day 359, April 23, 2010, Portion of the Moon

Ever since my wife bought me the 2x extender for my zoom lens, I've wanted to photograph the moon.  I decided tonight was the night.

I think that it did well.  I love looking at the craters.

I'm submitting this photo to Momochrome Weekend.  Check out all the cool monochrome photos on that site.  There's a lot of talented people out there.


Lessons Learned:
  • I need a better tripod.  Even with the ring on the zoom lens, it's just to much wait to hold the lens at the steep angles.  Does anybody have suggestions on their preference for tripods?
Photo details: Exposure time 1/125 sec, Aperture f/5.6, ISO 100, Focal Length 400 mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, 2X Extender, tripod.

10 comments:

Andrew said...

I've been using the Sunpak 7500 Pro. While the head it comes with is pretty good for video as it emulates fluid heads, it isn't perfect for stils. The head would be easily replaced though. And the legs are rock solid, and can hold more weight than I will ever put on them.

I'm relatively sure it's quite affordable, too.

Mike Simmons said...

Nice shot of the moon, Steve. It's rare that you see close-ups of it like this. That extender really works well.

I splurged on the tripod and have a Gitzo. They're light weight and rock solid.

James said...

That's an outstanding shot! I have a Manfrotto. It's made out of carbon fiber so it's strong and pretty light weight too.

Rune Eide said...

I have never tried an extender, but maybe I should, however I'm a bit afraid of the loss in speed. You have a faster lens that me (I have a 70-300/4.0-5.6 IS USM) so it will be less of a problem for you.

I have a Manfrotto 055XPROP fitted with a Manfrotto 488RC2 head. It is VERY sturdy, but a bit heavy.

Daniela said...

I love it, the details are gorgeous,

toledonative said...

Oh my goodness, this is GORGEOUS! Once again, I am jealous of other people's photography equipment.

I really, really, really like this picture! (And it's not just because I'm a Science teacher...or wait, maybe it is.)

Unknown said...

Wow. That is really good. I'm in the market for a tripod also. The comments will be helpful. Thanks.

webruci said...

Wowww!!! Are you work from the NASA? :))

I never see photo to the moon with detail like this! only profesionals from NASA.

Well done Steve!!!!

Have a nice weekend.

Sandra said...

What an awesome image! Great conversion.

Dragonstar said...

Real clarity on the craters at the terminator. My rather basic equipment couldn't manage anything like that.