Sunday, April 25, 2010

Week 52, Day 361, April 25, 2010, An Old Solution to a New Wrinkle

It was another rainy day for us, but we had a great time.  We visited my son, and his fiance in Rochester for the day.  We were busy having great food and conversation, that I didn't have a lot of time to take photographs.

When we returned home, I began thinking of ideas of what to photograph.  I wanted to attempt to photograph something that other people might not have, or see everyday.  We have an old Iron that we use as a door stop.  I think that somebody put a different handle on this one.  I've never seen another quite like it.

Lessons Learned:
  • I started by just photographing the iron on a wooden chest of drawers, then I moved to a larger wood surface because the chest of drawers wasn't large enough.  I thought the plain wood was just to bland, so I took my shirt off, and used it as a surface. I think it was a better result.  I'm still not quite sure I like the lighting.  I may return to this subject the another day.  I guess the lesson is, experiment and try a lot of different things when photographing stills.
Photo details: Exposure time 6 sec, Aperture f/4.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 17 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod. 

8 comments:

toledonative said...

I like this composition but I agree with you about it needing different lighting. It might be interesting with natural light coming from the side as through a window.

That is one unique iron! The handle gives it character!

Andrew said...

I like the shadow, looks great.

James said...

The shadow was the first thing I noticed too. That's neat old iron.

Breanna said...

I really like the shadow...the lighting is great with the wrinkles in your shirt.

Andrey Dorokhov said...

I think it's OK here with light. Like that shadow. And a very good subject for photographs! Looks heavy! ))

Mike Simmons said...

I like it too Steve. You also happened to be wearing the shirt that matches the iron and creating the right mood. I also like how you gave the evolution of the shot.

Yolanda said...

I like the vividness of the tones - nice and sharp!

Sandra said...

I like the shadow - it be interesting to see different variations of the same subject. I like the colors.