Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Week 50, Day 349, April 13, 2010, Low Clouds

I had some fun with today's photo.   I began by taking photos of  the long shadows of the trees across the corn field.  At first I was attempting to take photos of just the shadows.  Then I noticed if I walked down the hill the shadows were looking much more interesting from the bottom of the hill.  I then tipped the lens up and started to see the cumulus clouds.  I liked how the shadow of the trees began to look like the shadows of the clouds.  Now all we need is some cool mountains to set the tone. :-)

Lessons Learned:
  • Taking photos up a hill can make the clouds in the sky look closer to the ground.
  • I can really see the effects of the circular polarizer filter in the sky.  I like the effect, but it definitely doesn't look completely natural.    I may tone it back a little next time.  What do the rest of you do?
Photo details: Exposure time 1/100 sec, Aperture f/8.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 17 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, handheld, circular polarizer filter. 

12 comments:

Andrew said...

You have it exactly right on the CPL. The "standard" approach is to max out the polarization, and then back it off a little bit so it doesn't look unnatural.

Great clouds though, I love how they look with a wide angle lens.

Mike Simmons said...

Very nice image Steve! I always like how the sky is darker blue the higher up in the sky and the polarizer really accents that. Good point about the uphill effect on the ground and sky.

Andrey Dorokhov said...

Captivating sky!

Beaneyman said...

Steve Great shot and love the filter effect, I generally take a couple at different intervals to see the differnence but always end on the shot with the most blue !

RRosen said...

Great shot Steve. A lot of depth.

Nicki said...

Nice shot Steve. Love it!

Sandra said...

I think it's dramatic! Now imagine putting a person up there.

Breanna said...

I love this shot. I thought the shadows were from the clouds. I always forget my filters..lol

Unknown said...

It looks like the tree shadow is creating an illusion. The cloud looks like you could reach up and touch it.

Kari said...

Cooool! (New Background image... check!)

Yolanda said...

I need a CPL. I love this! I love how the clouds and the sky look - so vivid and dramatic! The sweeping view of the field and sky - very nice!

AB said...

It looks like you could touch the clouds! Great shot!