Thursday, April 29, 2010

Week 52, Day 364, April 28, 2010, The Purple Valley

The Purple Valley is a local favorite band in the Ithaca, NY area.  They have some up coming gigs that required a new photo.  John asked if I could come out and take some photos.  We had a great time, and this was my favorite.

The Purple Valley has a curse.  Every time they have had their photo taken, they have had somebody leave the band.  Immediately after this photo was taken the drummer said that this was the last time he was going to play with the band.  Then he smiled and laughed.  One advantage for me, is that they might ask me to take another photo when/if a new member joins them. ;-)

Lessons Learned:
  • I haven't taken a lot of photos of people where I have had to pose the people.  Fortunately they had some idea on what they wanted to try.  They set up, and I made a few suggestions.  I then began take several photographs of them as they joked with each other.  I think this worked best because they became more relaxed, and looked more natural.
 Photo details: Exposure time 1/50 sec, Aperture f/4.6, ISO 400, Focal Length 19 mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, hand held.

3 comments:

BSOB said...

at least the drummer didnt spontaneoulsy combust like in Spinal Tap. i like the rich colors in this one. i want to see more closely though - their faces maybe. not sure

toledonative said...

I agree with Ben - it's a great shot, but I want the lady second from the right to be more forward - she looks like she is hiding back there. I do like how relaxed and content everyone looks. It may just need to be cropped a bit?

Mike Simmons said...

I like the relaxed look, especially the guy on the right. You wonder what he's laughing about. I also like the guitar there. It looks like it was fun.