Friday, October 2, 2009

Week 23, Day 162, October 2, 2009, Return from the Battle


A week of rain, and rain this evening made the football field very muddy.  During one of the plays the opposing team kicked the football over into the muddy part of the field.  This player had to dive on the ball to prevent the other team from gaining possession.  He played it well, and became very muddy in the process.

Lessons Learned:
  • It's difficult to photograph in the rain.  I learned a secret from the local TV camera person.  She used a hotdog roll bag, and rubber bands to cover her camera to keep it from getting wet.  I guess that's much less expensive than the commercial solutions.  I'll have to try it.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/160, Aperture f/2.8, ISO 1600, Focal Length 125 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 306mm, Lens Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, handheld.

5 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

ugly weather Steve, nice pic

Kari said...

Yuck! (The best weather to play sports in!!!)

webruci said...

Hi Steve:-)
Perfect!!!!
I love the DOF efect in the picture. With this blur background the photo is PERFECT!!!

The Gilje Crew said...

I love how much he pops in this picture! Very nice!!

Black backgrounds - I use a black piece of fabric/sheet and then in post processing I bump the contrast as far as I can with out overdoing the subject and then go in with the tool in Lightroom that allows you to select areas to specifically adjust different elements. I highlight the area in black and bump up the exposure until it's black. Does that make sense?

Gallow said...

Elizabeth. Yes, that makes sense. Thank you for sharing your technique.