Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Week 26, Day 188, October 28, 2009, A Carpet of Leaves

"It can't snow until the creeks are full.", is a old saying in the North East.  There was a lot of rain today, helping to fill the creeks.
The last of the leaves are a brilliant yellow color, and they are falling quickly.  They produced a carpet of leaves on the hiking trails that follow the gorges.

Lessons Learned:
  • The circular polarizer works well on cloudy days as well.  It helps to bring out the colors of the leaves.
Photo details: Exposure time 1/30 sec, Aperture f/9.0, ISO 1600, Focal Length 17 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 27mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, hand held, circular polarizer filter. 

9 comments:

Glennis said...

Gosh, that's pretty. And you're in Ithaca! I have another blogger friend in Ithaca. We lived there 22 years ago, on a visiting faculty appointment - my son was born there. We lived right at the bottom of one of the gorges, in a big yellow Victorian house.

Your picture is so evocative!

AB said...

Paths make for a nice composition.

Anonymous said...

This is a pretty scene. I am surprised it turned out so well if you had to use 1600 ISO. I always get too much color noise or have. Maybe the difference is the filter.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Hey, I know G!
Gorgeous pic Stevo, and I just posted about you again.

Gallow said...

Thank you.

Abe,

I agree with what you said about the 1600 ISO. I didn't have my tripod with me, and the filter makes the photo darker. I had to push it to 1600 in order to be able to use that type of f-stop and shutter speed without the tripod.

I brought my tripod to work with me today, so I may get a few shots at a better ISO.

James said...

I love your nature pictures. Yes I do have a filter on my lens. I never take it off.

Elisabeth said...

Very nice...peaceful image.

Light and Voices said...

I would like to walk down that peaceful lane and hear the leaves crunch under my shoes.
Joyce M

carmilevy said...

That carpet just makes the shot...it adds such a spirit of the season to the scene. I really enjoy how you take us through the process you followed in setting up the shot. I've been in situations like this, too - low light, covered/shadowed scene - and pushing my ISO is always such a Hobson's Choice. You make it look easy...