Friday, October 30, 2009

Week 27, Day 190, October 30, 2009, Gorge from the Bridge


After work I had a little time, so I decided to head over to the gorge on the other side of the Cornell campus.  I found some new hiking trails, and took this photo.  Most of the leaves have fallen off the trees, but there are still some trees on the south side (right side of the photo) of the gorge that have many leaves.  In the distance is the foot bridge that spans the gorge.

I feel blessed to be able to have so many amazing natural attractions so close to home.

What beautiful areas are there were you live?

Lessons Learned:
  • I'm still having problems with the bright spots on my water shots.  I think that I have to widen the aperture a little more.
Photo details: Exposure time 1.3 sec, Aperture f/22.0, ISO 100, Focal Length 25 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 41mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod, circular polarizer filter.

5 comments:

AnSa said...

..fantastic picture!..only envy that you're so close to the fabulous views, wonderful .. I love the beauty of nature..:)

Anonymous said...

I so want to get some hiking in in Ithaca next spring. The more I see, the more I want to get back on those trails.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I drove over that bridge around 1:45 and boys were dumping pumpkins off of it, the little sh!ts.....

AB said...

An impressive waterfall. The white water is a nice contrast to the dark autumn colours.

Peter West Carey said...

The water is always difficlt to expose for when tryingto blur the action. If you're happy with the timing, you'll indeed need to stop things down just a bit more. Try spot metering on the waterfall too and then trying to bring up darks (everything else) in post.
Otherwise, you can take two shots and try mild HDR techniques to even it out. Some consider that 'cheating' but as long as the HDR isn't out of this world, you can get it close to what the amazing human eye captures naturally.