Friday, October 9, 2009

Week 24, Day 169, October 9, 2009, "Swirls in the Fall"

It's been rainy and dark, but the clouds have been interesting this week.  That's why I focused on black and white and clouds. 

Today, the clouds were much thicker, and it was raining.  I walked through the gorge next to my building, after all "Ithaca is Gorges".  The leaves on the trees were beautiful.  I took a few photos.  I realized that I needed a tripod because it was fairly dark, so I ran to my car and got it.

I took a few photos of the trees, but then I noticed the slow swirling on the side of the stream.  There were some leaves floating.  I took a time lapse photo to capture the swirls.

I hope you enjoy.

Lessons Learned:
  • Many times I don't have my tripod with me.  Sometimes I set the camera on a rock or a fence to steady it.  
  • Recently when taking photos without a tripod, I put the camera in burst mode.  I can then take a few photos in a row by holding down the shutter button.  I'm not depressing or releasing the shutter button on the middle photos, so this helps to reduce the movement of the camera.
 Photo details: Exposure time 10 sec, Aperture f/22, ISO 100, Focal Length 29 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 47mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod.

4 comments:

The Gilje Crew said...

Cool shot!! I forget my tripod often as well. I also picked up a neutral density filter so i can get shots of water in slow mo during brighter days. It's pretty fun!

I agree - the camera burst mode helps sometimes when the shutter is just slow enough. Usually the second or third shot is actually more steady.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

perfect!

webruci said...

Bingo!
you made it!
Great shoot, I learn to use the camera without tripod in bird watching.
Well done!

AB said...

Interesting disorienting effect!