Monday, October 19, 2009

Week 25, Day 178, October 19, 2009, Experimenting with Images


This one's an experiment.  I got the idea from another photographer, Lynne Daley.  I found her photo very interesting, so I thought I would give her technique a try.  Her's is fantastic.

What do you think?  Please don't hold anything back, and be honest.
I have kids, so I'm used to criticism.
(I'll let you know my impressions tomorrow.  I don't want to influence your comments.)


This photo is from above the Falls at Filmore Glenn in Moravia NY.  It was quite dark when I took the photo.  There isn't much daylight left at the end of the day.

Lessons Learned:
  • It is fun to try new things. Especially as experiments.
Photo 1 details: Exposure time .6 sec, Aperture f/4, ISO 100, Focal Length 17 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 28mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod, Out of Focus.

Photo 2 details: Exposure time 8 sec, Aperture f/22, ISO 100, Focal Length 17 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 28mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod, In Focus.

9 comments:

Kcalpesh said...

I definitely like your trial on the kind of image that Lynne Daley has done! I'm sure this will require a tremendous practice. I'll give it a shot too....

- Pixellicious Photos

Anonymous said...

I love this. I thought you had taken up painting as it looks like a painting of the Glen.

James said...

Thanks for the lesson. I have been taking pictures for less than a year. I feel like I should try something other than auto focus for the first time. I think your picture is fantastic and I feel inspired to experiment.

AB said...

That worked well. The image is wonderfully surreal.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

STEVO! NICE!

Lynne Daley said...

Hi Steve,
Thanks for sending me the link to your photo. I especially like the way the water has turned out. Very dreamy. I believe the technique is best suited for cloudy days, so your end of the day photo fit that category. If the sky is too bright, there will be big holes in the photo which look unsightly. It's been awhile since I took the Wormsloe photo, so am inspired by the comments to go out and give it another shot. Thanks again for the mention.

Unknown said...

I love it Steve. Reminds me of Monet!

vikkijac said...

Your blog is great, I found it from a link sent by Digital Photography School. You live in a gorgeous area of the country! And you're lucky to have some NICE camera equipment (at least your telephoto lens from what I've seen so far - jealous!)

I really like your "lessons learned" input. I may borrow that idea and add it to mine! I just got my camera in March and started the daily blog to force myself to take A LOT of pictures. That's the only way for me to learn...

Looking forward to your continuing info and inspirations!
Cheers, Vikki

Andrew said...

Looks absolutely lovely! It definitely helps that your original photo was spectacular, but the effect fits it perfectly.