Thursday, October 15, 2009

Week 24, Day 175, October 15, 2009, Pellet Stove, Weekly winner in online viewer poll.

Tonight was a dreary night. It was rain/snowing, but it wasn't sticking. I came home and started making vegatarian chili, and I fired up the pellet stove. I was trying to figure out what to photograph, and it came to me. It's warm inside. The pellet stove is near the computer, so I can easily see how the photos are turning out. I don't have to go outside in the dark rain. Sounds like a no brainer for me.

As the pellets in a pellet stove drop into the firepit, they create sparks. With the right shutter speed this can create an interesting effect. I like it.

Lessons Learned:

I'll be taking a lot of photos when it's dark out, and I cannot get outside this winter. Fortunatly there are a lot of interesting places around here where I can do that.

Photo details: Exposure time 4 sec, Aperture f/4, ISO 100, Focal Length 26 mm, 35 mm equivalent focal length 42mm, Lens Canon EF 17-40mm, tripod.

Weekly winner in the online viewer poll.

9 comments:

The Gilje Crew said...

Super cool shot, nice balance between capturing the sparks and not being too dark overall.

Kcalpesh said...

This is spectacular! Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing the settings! I was looking forward to experimenting on something like this!

- Pixellicious Photos

Gary's third pottery blog said...

STEVO! Cool! Great photo opportunities in the snow today, with the colored leaves, right?

Gallow said...

Elizabeth,

Thank you.

Kcalpesh,

You are welcome. I'm having a lot of fun with the photography, and people have helped me so much along the way. If posted the settings helps someone else it makes me happy.


Gary,

I was wishing it wasn't so dark when I came to work. You are right. It's spectacular out there.

Steve

Rune Eide said...

I liked the sparks flying around. There is always something to be found - if you look for it.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the pellet stove. I have seen them for sale but never bought one yet. Maybe someday. They also have neat ones that use corn to burn.

But the price of corn could make it prohibitive sometimes.

I liked the photograph a lot.

Thanks for the visit to my blogs.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What a great photo - definitely creative!

Shelley @ Shutterbug
http://shelleyslens.blogspot.com

Werner Sun said...

Very cool!

AB said...

A very successful experiment!